On April 30, 1952, the Archdiocese of Indianapolis purchased an 8 acre tract from John Roederer on East Eighth Street in Jeffersonville, Indiana for the purpose of establishing a new parish in the rapidly expanding eastern section of Jeffersonville, Indiana.
On March 10, 1953, the Rev. Robert J. Walpole was named as Assistant Pastor of St. Augustine's Church, in Jeffersonville, Indiana, while developing the building program of the new parish for which he was to become founding pastor, a pastorate he continued until his death in 1971. The new parish church and school, to be built at a cost of $240,000, was to be dedicated to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus. Ground was broken for the new church and school on August 7th of that year and the cornerstone was laid on October 4th with the Rev. Albert V. Deery of St. Augustine's parish officiating and Rev. Ignatius Hanley of St. Anthony's parish preaching the sermon.
The first Mass in the newly completed church was celebrated by Father Walpole on May 16, 1954. The following September, 285 students were enrolled in grades one through eight at Sacred Heart School, staffed by the Dominican Sisters of St. Catharine, Kentucky. Sister John Francis, O.P., was the first principal. Archbishop Paul C. Schulte formally dedicated the church and school on September 19th.
The parish was dedicated to the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus as the "Font of Divine Love and Inexhaustible Source of All Graces". The name of Sacred Heart Church was chosen by Father Walpole because of his special love and devotion for the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Construction of a convent was completed by the opening of the 1955 school year. Two years later, school enrollment had increased so significantly that eight additional classrooms were added.